Junior Footy

PLEASE REGISTER AND LOG IN to enable access to the other forums. Topics all about the Glenelg Tigers in the SANFL, match reports, photos, team selection, news and views. The Tigers play Australian Rules Football in the South Australian National Football League.

Junior Footy

Postby Speedy Tigers! » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:57 pm

This Friday night @ the Bay

Year 4/5 Primary Vs Norwood @ 7pm, 6/7 vs Norwood @ about 8pm

Results from last Friday Night

Glenelg 4/5 18.16 def Port Magpies 4/5 0.0 8)

The 6/7 team won by about 10 goals

Come along and watch the stars of the future!
#FOREVERGOLD
Speedy Tigers!
2024 "Cornes" Sponsor

Re: Junior Footy

Postby dedja » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:30 pm

Jeez, do we have any side who can't play? :lol:
dedja

Postby Speedy Tigers! » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 pm

dedja wrote:Jeez, do we have any side who can't play? :lol:

Nope.

I'm slightly involved in the junior (primary school mainly) level of things, and i am SO looking forward to the next 10 years to see where a few of these guns end up and how far they get.

The club throws hundreds of hours (and THOUSANDS of $$) on Junior Footy. Have an awsome set up there from bottom to top.

Global domination is around the corner!
#FOREVERGOLD
Speedy Tigers!
2024 "Cornes" Sponsor

Postby Speedy Tigers! » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:18 am

Results last night

4/5 Glenelg 13.10 (99) Norwood 1.2 (8)

6/7 Glenelg 11 (77) Norwood 3.5 (23)

The Bays must be very close to having the strongest Primary School Footy Zone in the state.
#FOREVERGOLD
Speedy Tigers!
2024 "Cornes" Sponsor

Postby Speedy Tigers! » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Easy Tiger! wrote:Results last night

4/5 Glenelg 13.10 (99) Norwood 1.2 (8)

6/7 Glenelg 11 (77) Norwood 3.5 (23)

The Bays must be very close to having the strongest Primary School Footy Zone in the state.

And this young man did very well for the Bays last night...

Shades of Gibbs in SA under-12 captain
by Jai Bednall

YOUNG GUN: Ryan Burton will lead the SA side at this week's national under-12 championships

A POLISHED midfielder who has drawn comparisons to Carlton star Bryce Gibbs at the same age will captain South Australia’s under-12 side at the national championships in Queensland this week.

Ryan Burton, the son of dual North Adelaide premiership player Craig Burton, has been earmarked as a key to SA’s attempt to break Victoria’s seven-year hold on the competition.

``He (Burton) reminds me very much of a young Bryce Gibbs,’’ SA coach Bruce Westley said.

``He’s very skilful and a very good runner. He’s wiry still but he’ll make a footballer.’’

Given Gibbs was a member of the last SA side to beat Victoria in 2001, Westley is hoping his latest prodigy can repeat the performance.

``It would be nice wouldn’t it. But the reality is, the ratio of kids Victoria has to choose from compared to us is nine to one. So it’s a big challenge.’’

The side also includes Central District premiership player Eddie Sansbury’s nephew Colin.

``He’s a utility type player. In the trial games he’s played full-back and done a good job but he’ll be rotated around,’’ Westley said.

Other players to watch include vice-captains Vince Rocca and Jack Daly and midfielder Luke Partington and half-forward Aaron Francis.

SA, which finished second last season, plays matches against the ACT, Queensland, Northern Territory, NSW and Victoria in Maroochydore from July 26-31.

Westley said the side’s greatest strength was its pace.

``We haven’t got a lot of height in the side, the big boys weren’t around this year.

``So our motto is pace and space. We don’t want to be kicking long to packs, we want to be running the ball up.’’

The team has played a series of tough trial matches in preparation for the tournament, including matches against Sturt and Glenelg’s under-13 squads and last year’s under-12 state team.

``They’ve had some pretty tough sessions. A lot of the kids in the team are used to dominating in their club and school games so I wanted to let them know that there is another level of football out there,’’ Westley said.
#FOREVERGOLD
Speedy Tigers!
2024 "Cornes" Sponsor

Postby outsider » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Not sure wher to post this comment but this is about the best place I could find

I was at the under 18's today and the bays were getting flogged in the first half and they were getting a terrible run from the umpires. However as normally happens Glenelg started to play better in the second half and then had a good run with the umpires for a great come from behind victory.

There was a guy sitting at the front of the northern stand with purple sleeves that was do his best to embarrass himself. One would hope he is not a parent of one of the players because he would embarass the hell out of me. Continual verbal abuse of the umpires even when glenelg had the game in the bag, abusing the sturt supporters around him.

I was talking to a recruiting manager on the way out of the ground and asked him what he would do if he went to interview a kid and found out this guy was his father. The interesting response was he said he would walk out and would not draft the kid. Apparently they have not drafted/rookied kids in the past based on not liking the parents.

I do like that this guy is passionate about his team but he really should enjoy it for what it is about. Winning is nice but developing kids into better footballers and men is what it is about.
outsider

Return to The RESERVES + the Other grades