Reserves Player Reviews

PLEASE REGISTER AND LOG IN to enable access to the other forums. Topics all about the Glenelg Tigers in the SANFL, match reports, photos, team selection, news and views. The Tigers play Australian Rules Football in the South Australian National Football League.

Reserves Player Reviews

Postby Tiger Tough » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:57 pm

The season's over so I thought it would be good to give everyone the chance to do player reviews on each player, starting with the reserves. Just some comments on how the player's season went and prospects for the future. I will get around to doing mine shortly, but here is the list of players from our reserves

Allison
Bennett
Krueger
Panozzo
Smith
Allen
Doswell
Herbert
Greenwood
Block
Griffiths
Button
Horan
Milne
Willitts
Gamble
Yeomans
Kaesler
Bradley
Ruwoldt
Wade
Redden
Lally
Tiger Tough

Postby John_Fidge » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:52 pm

Allison - Relegated to the reserves and was there most of the year. I really can't see him adding anything to the league side next year and his career has to be at the cross roads.

Bennett - Is coming on as a good, versatile defender who can play in a variety of spots. Really put it together towards the end, earning a call up for the last league game against Centrals but injury forced him to pull out. Him and Wade were solid as a rock in defence.

Krueger - Obviously when fit would have been in the league side. If his body can hold up he can be anything and his fitness will play a big part in Glenelg's resurgence. Delisted by crows today.

Panozzo - What a grand final from this bloke and what a goal. His penetrating kicking and run is a highlight. The grand final showed this bloke should be in the league side.

Smith - Well he left it to the grand final but he had a great game and his smother early in the game was inspirational. Is only young (22) for a key position player/ruckman. Despite the doubters I can see a future.

Allen - Cemented a league spot late in the year but was eligible for reserves finals and unfortunately hurt himself in the prelim and we would later find that this cost us the flag. Has had a breakout year.

Doswell - Would have expected him to be playing league but did shine in the reserves. Got plenty of the ball and if things fall his way can be a league regular.

Herbert - With a new coach we will find out early whether he is in his plans. Can still have an impact at league level on his day but those days seem few and far between. Likely departure?

Greenwood - Gets so much of the ball but needs to break into the league side and do it at league level as well. A handy player to have at the club to fill a void when required. Have heard he is leaving?

Block - Disappointing year after a great 2004. Injury didn't help but should break into the league side next year and stay there. Is so much better than his 2005 season.

Griffiths - Very reliable ruckman. You know what you are going to get with him. Top bloke too.

Button - Has the potential up forward but can either be hot or cold and needs to want it and keep his head up.

Horan - Wins so much of the ball at reserves level but another who needs to make the most of it when he gets a league game. Can be used as a tagger too and he has done this effectively at league level.

Milne - The little goal sneak. No doubting what he brings to the reserves side but whether he can do the same at league level is still unknown. Had a funny year. Out of the reserves early on and then came back well to play well in the finals.

Willitts - Big wraps on him from some but the fact he struggles at league level must be a concern. I know he's still young but I can't see much more than a solid sanfl player when he matures. But that is good for Glenelg!

Gamble - WILL get drafted. Our brightest AFL prospect for 2005. Good luck to him in his future. His clean hands etc and versatility will make him a stand out for AFL clubs.

Yeomans - Gets so much of the ball even at his age. I have doubts over his AFL prospects but we have a good one here if he does get overlooked at the draft.

Kaesler - I admit I know little of him but has featured in the best.

Bradley - Had a bright patch but form tapered off a little towards the end. You get that with youngsters and he has a future at sanfl level.

Ruwoldt - What a star at reserves level. Can kick goals or get plenty of the ball. Another who needs to make full use of any future league appearances.

Wade - Wade/Bennett, these 2 held our defence down all year and it was a very good effort by the unsung Wade back at full back. Doesn't take a back step and will only improve.

Redden - A frustrating player. Had a grand final to forget but no doubting his ability. Will only get better and with experience the silly mistakes will disappear. Doubt he'll get drafted but could be rookied by an AFL club.

Lally- Many say he should have been at the under 18s championships and even be drafted, which may still happen but if it doesn't we are going to be very lucky. Racks up possesions already and if still here, should debut in league in 2006.

So it was a great year overall for the reserves, with a bitter ending last Sunday. However, unlike most clubs and for the first time I can remember, our reserves are wholly made up of guys who can offer something to the Glenelg FC in the future. The camaraderie is there and they play for each other and the coach (take note league guys!) and were a joy to watch all year. More often that not, I treated the reserves as my big game for the day. Well done to Burge for all he did and for the way he got the guys playing as such a committed team unit and I hope he stays on, I know the guys will be striving for league selection and all have the potential but I also know that there is unfinished business, and we have the guys who will make the club known for its depth which has been a long time coming.
John_Fidge

Postby eyeofthetiger » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:38 pm

Greenie has told me he will stay. Time will tell
There is nothing more certain than a Glenelg Grand Final
eyeofthetiger

Postby TigerBoss » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:36 pm

Well done Fidgey...not too many disagreements from me in that assessment.

I think Herbert still has a lot to offer, and I'm hopeful both he and Greenwood stick around for 2006...they are exceptional players, in particular Greeny.
When I die, scatter my ashes all over the Glenelg Football Oval.
TigerBoss

Postby Bays_r_Great » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:19 am

Tiger Tough you left out Andrews, Dubiniecki and Schuback (and probably others), but a pretty good memory effort anyway and certainly better than I would do.

I wonder how many of these players we may lose, for various reasons; IMO:

Schuback will likely go back to Victoria:

It's been suggested Kruger may return to the South East now the Crows have delisted him; I sincerely hope not, he has great hands and, if he stays fit (more likely without an AFL weights program that, IMO has stuffed his back) will be a gun for Glenelg for years to come:

Andrews will hopefully stay, was starting to make an impact before unjury in second half of the year:

Allo will probably stay, but league opportunity may be limited:

Watched a video of the Norwood game @ Parade on the weekend; Herbert was brilliant that day and showed what he can provide if he stays fit - worth keeping to teach and help yonger big blokes develop:

Smith showed what he can do in the ressies GF and just needs to do it more often; that smother was one of my season highlights:

Willitts needs to step up; he's shown he is capable of tearing a game apart and needs to develop consistency - of course when he does that the Poo power scum will put him in their side:

Ruwoldt, Bennett, Greenwood, Allen, Panozzo and Doswell should get more league opportunities; they're all capable and, except for Doswell (why I do not know) were given league chances this year:

Kaesler, Yeomans, Bradley, Redden, Wade are young and will be good enough for league in time; some sooner than others probably:

Horan, Milne, Block are all capable of playing regular league footy but need to improve consistency and some decision making to cement spots next year - HOORAY for competition for league spots!!
We're GFC! We're Dynamite!!
We're GFC! And the others are Shite!!
So says Tony
Bays_r_Great

Postby TigerBoss » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:40 am

Indeed...it's a good luxury to have when 5-6 Reserves players are stiff :shock: every week to miss out on a spot in the League side...
TigerBoss

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:17 pm

i SAW IN TODAYS TISER that Lucus Herbert played in police footy team that beat WA.

Postby TigerBoss » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:46 pm

Yep, along with "your goal Wiggins".
TigerBoss

Postby Little Miss Tiger » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:49 pm

I think that Bennett was the best all year! I also like Griffiths, he's funny.
A TIGER FOR ME, A TIGER FOR ME, IF YOUR NOT A TIGER YOUR'E NO GOOD TO ME......
Little Miss Tiger

Postby Speedy Tigers! » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:50 pm

So Fabulous Phil is your cousin then LMT?

:oops:
#FOREVERGOLD
Speedy Tigers!
2024 "Cornes" Sponsor

Postby Little Miss Tiger » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:00 pm

Yep, we are 2nd cousins, not 1st cousins, but my family are all the same to me.
A TIGER FOR ME, A TIGER FOR ME, IF YOUR NOT A TIGER YOUR'E NO GOOD TO ME......
Little Miss Tiger

Postby Speedy Tigers! » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:01 pm

GREAT player, if he doesnt get drafted, i can see him playing league with us for many many years.
#FOREVERGOLD
Speedy Tigers!
2024 "Cornes" Sponsor

Postby TigerBoss » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:06 pm

Let's hope so...with Ben Wade, Forest, Mulesy and Buck down there we're going to kick some opposition @ss in the next few years.
TigerBoss

Return to The RESERVES + the Other grades